Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Welcome to Nepal, Here Are Your Stool Cups.



I visited the embassy yesterday to do my inprocessing: badges, an immunization, security briefing and meeting lots of nice people. The facility is really new and quite nice.
I guess when you live in a third world country, the threat of illness is prevalent and staying clean is essential. I am learning more about bacteria, viruses and other bugs than I guess I ever wanted to. When you see signs posted at every eatery patronized by Americans that says beware of the Cyclospora, you need to be cognisant of those little things you can't see.
The "D" word is also spoken about openly and frequently. That word being diarrhea. Complete strangers have provided their experiences with the "D" word and every grumble in my stomach is turning me into a closet hypochondriac. This may be the ultimate weight loss success story or a story of worshipping the porcelain god; I hope neither but only time will tell.
The funniest thing that happened yesterday though was when I was leaving the health clinic and the nurse said "Let me get you some stool cups so you will have them when you need them." I responded "Okay." When I got home and opened the black bag and pulled them out and they immediately reminded me of "Tall" Starbucks coffee cup with top. I hope we never have to use them.
This wasn't meant to gross anyone out but I am providing a forthcoming experience of our lives in Nepal.
I thought I would include a picture of a toilet since it is different and in what other blog spot would it be more appropriate.

Nemaste

No comments:

Post a Comment